Broccoli and Cheese Soup
There might be very few other foods that are as comforting as a bowl of hot, creamy soup with cheese and some broccoli to add some texture and temper the saltiness of the cheddar. This yummy recipe is great for any weather, but it’s especially enjoyable when it’s cold.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. onions, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. leeks (green part)
- 1 cup broccoli flowers, chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. roux (a mixture of equal parts of butter and flour)
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- croutons for garnish
Using equal parts butter and flour (1/2 cup), melt butter in a pan over low heat, and gradually add flour while stirring with a whisk. Stir the mix until golden brown. Set aside the remaining roux for thickening other soups or white sauces.
How to make roux:
1. In a pot, melt butter, brown garlic, then sauté onion and leeks.
2. Add broccoli and chicken stock.
3. Simmer until broccoli is tender.
4. Whisk in the roux, cream, and half of the cheese.
5. Simmer until thickened.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Pour into bowls and garnish with the croutons and remaining cheese.
Makes 2 servings.
This rainy-day soup recipe was created by Chef Jonn, who helms Paul Calvin's at Bonifacio Global City in Taguig, a deli and bakery known for creative, tasty, and healthy dishes.
For more soup recipes by Chef Jonnathan Em, check out the August issue of Health Today, available at all leading bookstores and newsstands.